Over the weekend I decided to get a real feel of the rainforests here in Cairns! So I decided 1- to go on a hike (by myself) and 2- to visit what are called the Tablelands. First let me tell you about my hike....
As you are already probably guessing I did get lost! I had never hiked by myself before let alone in a rainforest. I did however stay on the path I was just feeling a little too adventurous, it being my first time and all, that I decided to take a different path back down the mountain. Well 2 hours later I ended up in a sugar cane field at the base of the mountain somehow! As you can imagine there are lots of animals that live in the sugar cane fields so my mind was racing the whole time trying to walk as fast as I can through the brush just waiting for a python to come out and grab me! Luckily I made it though fine and ended up back where I started! I guess I have a better sense of direction then I thought. Thanks Dad!
All in all though it was a great hike! I ran into no other person and felt quite secluded from the rest of the world. It was just me, the trees, and the mountain. The mountain however was not making it easy on me. I did stay on the path but damn that path was steep. I final fully understand the meaning of an uphill battle. My calves were burning and the sun was only getting hotter and my water was slowly disappearing. I found myself jumping into shaded spots when ever I could just to breath in the cool air. That was what it was like up the mountain, once I got to the top the scenery made the hike all worth it! The view was spectacular and I could see the surrounding mountains so clearly. The canopy was nice and shaded which made for a nice rest before my hike back down the mountain which you know how that ends up.
At the end of the hike I felt very accomplished and satisfied that 1- I did not die, 2- I did not run out of water, 3- there was no snakes( that I saw), and 4- I may have got lost but I found my way back. I am quite the explore now!
Now to the Tablelands!
After my solo hike through the forest I just couldn't get enough! So I booked a trip to go visit the Tablelands of Queensland! The Tablelands are better described as a plateau of sorts that has rich volcanic soil great for rainforests and farming land! We had to drive up a windy road through the mountain that had a total of 84 turns to get to the top where the Tableland where. Thankfully I did not get car sick and I learned that Aussies are crazy drivers!
Anyway the trip induced 2 stops as volcanic crater lake that made for a nice swim! The crystal clear blue water was cool and refreshing compared to the ocean water that feels like bath water at the moment unfortunately. Then to a Killing Fig Tree that kills other trees around it so that it can grow bigger, then to Dinner Falls for some awesome photos, and then to Milla Milla Falls to swim underneath a water fall! This was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. The water was life a massage on your head as is came cascading down the cliff. The rocks behind the falls made for some great climbing as long as you didn't slip! Then to Devil's Pool which as you can guess by the name of it was too dangerous to swim in. people have died trying so we just gazed from distance. The whirlpool was cool to see! There we saw something that made the whole trip worth while though! It was a wild Cassowary! They are an endangered bird in AUS that stands about 4 ft and have huge crawls attached to huge feet. I am not a bird person so as cool and pretty as he was all I could think of was that damn rooster Dad use to have and how he liked to stalk you after you had your back turned. This bird was just as curious only 10 times as big and he came pretty close to kicking this one women who was coming too close. So I high tailed it back into the bus and took pictures from a safe distance. He walked around the parking lot but even the tour guide said they are dangerous just because they are so curious. Apparently they like to run into cars and chase people! Well now you know why they are endangered!
The day was awesome and even though it was cloudy and over cast spending the whole day in the Tableland's rainforest was awesome and beautiful! I falling in love with Australia!
Now I have to get back into school mode. :-(
I see got behind on the blog posts! I did enjoy the pictures though! Pretty awesome!
ReplyDelete